<$BlogRSDUrl$>
crows nest
from here I can almost see the sea
The civilized man has built a coach, but has lost the use of his feet.
- R. W. Emerson

The is that is

Thursday, January 17, 2008
I am getting comfortable...
in the good sense.

I am finding a rhythm that I haven't found in quite a while... or maybe I just feel that way at the moment. Time will tell, but right now is good.

I traded my parking contract for a bus pass and it makes me feel so liberated. Granted I am bound to a bus schedule, but we all need a little discipline to feel free, right? And I can definitely appreciate not pumping gas into my car for so, so many reasons.

I am getting a chance to read again as you will read about in an upcoming blathering blog about Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" series. I just finished that, but am now back to the other eight or so books of which I am currently finished in varying degrees.

I still have thoughts in my head of writing (at least a novella) for kicks, so I am once again attacking Campbell's "Hero of a Thousand Faces." ***Aside: I give permission to make as many "Hero of a thousand Feces" jokes as you like.*** Not that I am going to use Campbell's work as a template per se (like George Lucas admittedly did in the Star Wars series), but as he argues in the book and elsewhere, there are reasons why these themes are reinforced through many cultures and eras.

But I also have rediscovered "The Tipping Point," am back to visiting "Hawaii," and keep trying to read about Mysticism from Evelyn Underhill... but I don't think I am quite ready yet.

There is a part of me who holds to the notion (reinforced by some of the topics of the Pullman books) that as long as I hold up my end of the bargain and focus my energies properly, life will point me out in the right direction where necessary. I take heart from strange coincidence. So if I am feeling aimless and something aims me in a direction, I will go that way.

At this point the way is straight ahead, but slowly. I went to the Minnesota Green Expo to mingle with people in my chosen field. Though I found a number of job openings and submit a number of resumes, I am a little apprehensive of the fluctuating economy, so I will tread carefully upon this foggy path.

I am rediscovering music... which might be presumed to be a given being that I have a radio show and was always blogging about it in the past... but I had a bit of a dry spell where I was hearing a lot, but not really listening to it - in fact I was listening to political talk radio more than music stations. This seasons releases were pretty weak and aside from Iron and Wine's new disc (A note: How come it was voted one of the best albums of the year on the current, but I only know of maybe two people who actually listen to it?) anyway, aside from that album, I haven't found much to crow about. But I saw a really good show a few weeks ago (Roma di Luna and the Pines) and I am using Pandora a lot again - finding plenty that makes my ears perk. If you want to listen a long, just click the "Feels Like Home" station on the right over there. --->

And I picked up my guitar again last week, remembering how important calluses really are and how hard fought they are in achieving. I also realized how greatly I need new strings. Sounds like I am playing shoelaces draped across a cardboard box.

I haven't painted since class though...
I think a part of it is not having an instructor giving me any assignments. So I invite anyone who has any suggestions whatsoever, to throw them out there. You will be doing me a favor. I want to get back into it and thanks to a receptive and supportive group of people around me, I have an easel to work from.


Well,


I have to catch the 21 at 8:20 tomorrow, so I will have to catch up with all of you later on.

Take care and be well.

See you sometime.
10:22 PM :: ::
1 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

Ian :: permalink